Magherally Masonic Hall

An Occasional Meeting of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Down was held at Magherally on October 2, 1926, at four o’clock p.m., for the purpose of Consecrating and Dedicating a new Hall. The Provincial Grand Lodge assembled in the old Hall and opened on the first degree with the following officers:

Template 1

Past Master's Jewel

To be elected the Master of a Lodge is the highest honour the Lodge has in its power to confer on any of its members. When the Master’s period of office is completed he is presented with a Past Masters’ Jewel by the members of the Lodge, as a mark of esteem of his dedication and service to the Lodge over the past year.

Template 2

Roll of Honour

Displayed on a board in the Lodge room are the names, rank and Regiment of those members of Lodge 203 who fought in the two great wars. This board was erected in recognition of the service that they gave.

Template 3

Half Yearly Return

Originally returns from a Lodge were made to Grand Lodge half yearly; this is now done on an annual basis. In the month of October the Lodge elects its officers for the ensuing year and the return is forwarded to Grand Lodge in Dublin for their approval. Failure to make this annual return can result in a fine or suspension of the Warrant. Shown left is the return for Lodge 203 in 1832.

Template 4

Foundation of Magherally Masonic Lodge No. 203

From the Minutes of Grand Lodge
Lodge 801      

On the 3rd March, 1814 a Memorial was read from Bros. Robt. Brown and John Darby, members of Lodge 943 (Banbridge Lodge) and Bro. Thos. Mulligan, 372 (Gillhall, Co. Down) praying for a Warrant to hold a Lodge in Magherally, Co. Down. The three brethren were granted Warrant No. 801.
Warrant No. 203

On the 2nd April 1818 the Warrant was re-issued to William Ross, Thompson and John Simonton (all from Lodge 801) to form a Lodge in Magherally, Banbridge, Co. Down, in lieu of 801.